Hands down, the most common reason (excuse) I receive to why moms find it challenging to consistently work out and eat healthy is TIME…or lack there of I should say.
“I’m too busy.’
“I work full time.”
“My kids don’t sleep.”
“I DON’T HAVE TIME.”
I’ve heard it ALL.
Trust me, I completely get it…I’m crazy most days as well. Between raising my two small children (3.5 and 18 months), maintaining my home, and running my Online Fitness Business and Team Fit Dynasty, I too find it difficult to fit it all in.
But lets be honest with ourselves…they are all big fat EXCUSES. All it takes is 30 minutes 4-5 days per week. I can guarantee that most of us scroll social media, watch TV, shop online, etc. for at least that per day…am I right? I’m guilty of it too, so don’t worry I’m not just pointing my finger :).
Here are five tips that have helped me tremendously when I’m feeling “too busy” to exercise and eat healthy:
1. Make it a priority. I know we are women and always put everyone else’s needs in front of our own (especially our kids) but you need to understand that its not only okay, but it’s essential to dedicate a little bit of time to yourself each day for your mental sanity. You WILL be better for it, trust me.
Be sure to speak to your significant other about it so you have their support in finding those 30 minutes of your time 4 days per week.
2. Schedule your workouts in your calendar. Write them down, type them in, do whatever you have to do…put them in there. Once your workout is in your calendar, like any other commitment, it will help you stick to it. This has always helped me tremendously.
Fit them in when you can. If you have to wake up 30 minutes before your kids do…do it. If you have to wait to put them to bed at night…you might be a tired but trust me, you will feel great once you’re done.
3. Meal plan EVERY week. I’m not saying you have to meal prep all of your meals every week, because that simply doesn’t work for me, but you should meal PLAN. Like they say…if you fail to plan you should plan to fail. It’s so true…a little planning goes a long way and you won’t find yourself starving with no plan and then ordering a pizza or making pasta…the easiest and quickest option.
Every Sunday I write out what meals we are going to eat for dinner Monday through Sunday, and then I go grocery shopping Sunday or Monday. You can find my typical weekly shopping list here.
To make it simple I usually have dinner leftovers for lunch and my other four meals (breakfast and three snacks) are pretty much the same to an extent.
4. Work out from home. This is a big one! If you are telling me you don’t have time to exercise, by the time you pack up the kids, drive to the gym and unload them at the daycare, you could have completed your daily workout at home.
Once I incorporated at home workouts into my routine I felt so much more accomplished…and it only took me 3o minutes TOTAL. I walk into my living room, press play, and do my workout for 30 minutes.
Yes, there have been times when I have to press the pause button to tend to a crying baby but I just continue when I can and it gets done. I never thought I would be that home workout girl…but now I am and I love how it fits perfectly into my mom life with two small children. It works perfectly.
5. STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Seriously, I can easily come up with 12 excuses why I “can’t” work out on a given day. Lace up your Nikes and get it done. You know you will thank me later :). Then once you get into a routine and start seeing results, you won’t want to miss a day.
If you found this post helpful and are looking for an awesome at home workout plan to incorporate into your busy mom life that will absolutely show you results, fill out the contact form below and I will send you more info on the options I can offer you.