Are you like me and can keep it together during the week when it comes to staying on track with healthy eating, but it is SO much harder to maintain on the weekends? If so, you’re definitely not alone!
I wanted to share my healthy tips for eating out because it is one of the biggest struggles for my online bootcamp and challenge group ladies as well. The weekends are harder because your routine is thrown off and there are lots of unexpected temptations when you’re out to dinner, hanging out with friends or at a party.
So, how do you overcome the weekend treats and temptations and stay on track with your healthy eating so you won’t undo all of your hard work that you put in during the week.
Here are my healthy tips for eating out:
1. DO NOT fast all day because you know you are having a night out. This is a common HUGE mistake that many people make and I used to be guilty of as well. I would think I know I’m going to splurge later so I won’t eat much during the day. NO. NO. NO. Make sure to stick to your normal routine on these days and even eat something small before you go. If you don’t eat your metabolism slows down and your fat burning engine turns off…you need to continue eating every 2-3 hours!
Here is a high protein breakfast I will eat on a day I know I’ll be out for dinner. 1 egg, 3 egg whites, 2 slices of nitrate free turkey bacon, and fresh berries.
This will help you stay in control so you don’t attack the bread basket. You can choose wisely instead of ordering with you starving tummy and go for the most fattening creamy pasta dish. However, you can adjust and maybe keep your carbs lower during the day because you know you are going to be eating more at night or even maybe having a protein shake for lunch. Be smart about it but DO NOT skip a meal!
2. Be prepared as much as you can. ALWAYS have a protein bar or transportable snack in your purse at all times. If you are like me, sometimes the weekends get away from us and we are out all day running errands. It is easy to lose track of time, not eat, and make a bad decision at a convenience store to “hold me over” until dinner. By always having a piece of fruit or healthy bar on hand this will never happen and you will stay on track. I always make sure to have a Quest bar or two on hand for my husband and I when we are out on the weekends. Quest is my go to bar with 20 grams of protein, 18 grams of fiber and 1 gram of sugar. They taste great too (you can order them right here -> :)).
3.. Skip the bread. I know this can be hard especially at those amazing Italian restaurants, but trust me, you don’t need the bread. This is why it’s important to eat throughout the day so you’re not starving when you get there.
4. Check out the menu before you go. 95% of all menus are available online. I always try to go on and choose a healthier option before I go, this way my wandering eyes won’t be tempted with something else.
5. Stick to lean protein and veggies. There is almost always great chicken/fish/lean meat options on a restaurant menu. You can also get creative and can ask your waiter if you can replace a pasta dish with rice or just get double veggies. AVOID the buttery and creamy sauces at all costs!
6. Eat half and take half home. We all know that most restaurants give you double or even triple the appropriate portion size. Take your leftovers home and you’ll have lunch for the next day all set. Check out this GIANT salad from Cheesecake Factory…this can feed an entire family!
7. You don’t NEED dessert. I’m not telling you not to have cake on your birthday but it’s also a bad habit to create to have dessert every time you’re out at a restaurant. Most times we don’t have dessert unless we are in Little Italy in the Bronx…then I do make an exception for a small cannoli :). If you have a sweet tooth opt for a healthier, lower fat option and get some frozen yogurt with fruit and nuts as toppings on your way home. Fresh berries with some granola also does the trick when I get home as well if I want something sweet.
These healthy tips for eating out will go a long way if you stick to them most of the time. In the busy lives we all lead it is common to eat out on the weekends and once we start indulging it is sometimes hard to stop!
Don’t undo all of your hard work and sabotage your results that you work so hard for!
Is there anything you would add to this list of healthy tips for eating out? Comment with any additions below!