When Daniela was born and we found out we had a daughter, my husband and I were ecstatic. However, we both agreed that different responsibilities arise when parenting a little girl and it made me really think about what I hope to teach my daughter.
Here is my list of 10 (from many)…
- If my daughter learns nothing else from me, I think it’s most important for her to have positive self-esteem. Self-esteem is the sum of a person’s self-confidence and self-worth. I want her to believe in herself, stand up for herself, and know that she deserves to be happy.
- We live in a crazy world and self-respect is vital for a young girl to possess. I want my girl to grow up to be a strong woman with dignity and integrity. I don’t want her to ever accept being mistreated, especially when it comes to a man.
- I want to teach her how to be independent, so if need be she doesn’t have to rely on anyone to thrive and succeed. I also want her to know that it’s ok to be a leader and to stand alone to support what she believes in.
- I think it’s also so important for girl’s to know how to truly respect a man. I want my girl to know she deserves respect but also how to treat boyfriends and one day her husband.
- True beauty is on the inside. While make-up and dressing up is a lot of fun, true beauty lies in a person’s character. I want to teach her this from a young age and hope she never forgets it.
- The importance of having close girlfriends is essential for girls when growing up and throughout her life. I love family time but there is nothing like a girl’s night out and I think it’s important to teach my daughter to always make time for her friends. If she is true to her friends they will be true to her when she needs it most.
- I want my daughter to know that the prettiest accessory a girl could wear is her smile. I want her to exude happiness with her pretty smile and to be a positive person.
- Even though I’m going to teach both of my children this, I think sending handwritten thank you notes is very important. You might laugh but in our digital world of email and text messaging, people are getting away from taking the time to write a simple thank you note. It’s a small act that goes a long way to show your gratitude and to acknowledge someone’s kindness.
- I also want to teach her how to be a lady. I want to teach her how to be polite and have manners at all times.
- I think it’s very important to teach my daughter how to cook and take care of her home. Don’t worry, this is also going on my list of what I want to teach my son, but I feel it’s important for a young girl to learn how to do these things from her mother. Not only is it a great bonding experience (more so the cooking not the cleaning), but it’s also essential for her to achieve true independence in adulthood.
I have to remember every day that my daughter will do as I do, and not as I say. It’s a big responsibility for mothers to be a constant role model for our daughters, but I’m really looking forward to it :).
I enjoyed writing this list, so stay tuned for my mother/son list coming soon!
Comment below with what you think is essential to teach your daughter.