Valentines Day is right around the corner and as much as it has become an eye-rolling, “Hallmark” holiday or another excuse to consume as much chocolate as possible, it’s actually a really fun time when you have little ones in the house. This week I have some fun but simple ideas for Valentines Day planned for Philip (who just turned 2 in January) that I wanted to share.
Craft/Activity Ideas for Valentines Day
- Celery Heart Stamping – All you need is a stalk of celery, paper and some paint (preferably washable ;)). This was an easy one for us because I already had all three in the house! Crafting with fruit and veggies is readily available when you juice! The bottom of a celery stalk is heart shaped so have your toddler dip it in paint and stamp away to make a pretty Valentine <3
- Toilet Paper Roll Heart Stamping – All ya need is a toilet paper roll, a piece of tape and some paint. Shape the toilet paper roll into a heart and tape it across the top to hold it in place.
- Valentines Day Coloring Printables – There are tons of websites that offer free printables. Print some out and supply the crayons to continue your Valentines Day theme for the week.
Treat Ideas for Valentines Day
Pink Heart Cereal Bars (recipe from allrecipes.com), are a great treat using whole grain cereal and dried cranberries. You can add little pieces of chocolate or substitute with nuts for a more healthy option.
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 10 oz package large marshmallows
- 1/2 (3 ounce) package cranberry flavored Jell-O® mix
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal squares (such as Rice Chex ®)
- 3 cups toasted oat cereal rings (such as Cheerios®)
- 2/3 cup mini candy-coated chocolate pieces (such as mini M&M’s®)
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Butter a 9×12-inch baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick pot over low heat.
- Mix in the marshmallows and cranberry gelatin mix until the marshmallows have melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the rice squares, oat cereal rings, mini candy-coated chocolate pieces, and dried cranberries until thoroughly combined.
- Working quickly, press the mixture into the prepared baking dish and allow to cool.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to make heart shaped treats
Decoration Ideas for Valentines Day
I thought it would be a cute tradition to cut out hearts and tape them to the back of my kids’ doors or on their bathroom mirror so when they wake up every year they have festive Valentines Day morning. I thought it would be nice to write reasons why I love them on each heart. Corny…yes, but really cute :). I hope everyone has a fun week celebrating all the love in your life with your children!