Well I can honestly say I wasn’t expecting to be pregnant this long. I had Philip at 39 weeks and was confident this baby would follow in the footsteps of their big brother…not the case. I am currently three days late and while that’s completely normal, I’m in a little bit of a different situation because of my previous delivery.
Since I had a C-section with Philip (because he was posterior and his neck was flexed, aka in a horrible position), I stopped progressing at nine centimeters and wasn’t given much time before I was presented with the “option” of a C-section, even though neither of us was in distress. My lack of information on the subject paired with a doctor who acted like my son and I would die if I didn’t let her perform surgery on me, convinced my husband and I to go with the C-section. I had an awful recovery and I NEVER want to have to go through that again if I don’t have to.
So, this time around I did a ton of research and decided to go for a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarian). At 20 weeks pregnant I decided my current doctor was not supportive of my plan so I searched long and hard to find the correct provider for us, and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. You can read more about my doc search here.
My midwife group is amazing and when I switched they told me their affiliating OBs didn’t like VBAC patients to go past 41 weeks and they absolutely would not induce, but I wasn’t worried about that because I was definitely going to go early again, right? But here I am.
This week at my appointment I was dreading our conversation about scheduling a C-section, but I knew it was coming. Katie, my midwife, told me that the doctor would want to schedule a week from that day which would bring me to a full 41 weeks and she would maybe consider letting me go a few days after that. I was devastated to have a deadline looming over me and I was on the brink of tears. After all of this I couldn’t believe I might have to walk into the operating room to have another C-section when I know its premature and unnecessary at this point.
The baby and I are completely healthy. My blood pressure has consistently been 110/60, my sugar is fine and the baby’s heartbeat sounds great. Believe me, if there was any indicator of distress I would absolutely do what was necessary to get the baby out immediately, but we are fine. Even ACOG (American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) guidelines show it to be perfectly safe for a VBAC candidate to go to 42 weeks as long as mom and baby are healthy. 42 weeks would bring me to Monday, December 23rd…great timing right? What doctor wants to schedule surgery the week of Christmas…not many so I know I’m up for a fight.
On Monday I was completely devastated and mentally in the wrong place but also convinced to do everything I could to induce labor. I went to the chiropractor, got reflexology done (which I highly recommend even if you’re not pregnant), ate spicy food, I’ve been taking Evening Primrose Oil, and drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (for 13 weeks now). I’ve been trying it ALL and you can read more about natural labor inducing techniques here.
I also have an acupuncture appointment later today that I’m confident will get things going. If this was my first pregnancy I wouldn’t be doing any of this, and I didn’t with my son, and go figure ended up going early on my own.
I had another appointment with Katie this morning and I’m in a much better place now mentally. Unless there is a reason I am not going to walk into surgery and she even agreed to do a natural form of induction, leaving C-section as a last resort. This was a huge sigh of relief :).
Looking on the positive side of this situation, this experience is helping me to be more patient and also teaching me how to relinquish control, which is extremely hard for me to do.
I hope this is my last update for this pregnancy, and I have baby news for you all very soon!